Bristol Fire Department
ISO Class 2
A Shift-Battalion Chief Brian Witcher
B Shift-Battalion Chief JJ Cornett
C Shift-Battalion Mike Wise
A Shift Captain Stacey Farley
B Shift Captain Jay Gouge
C Shift Captain Brian Sproles
Cold Weather Issues to Consider
- If working outside, dress in layers.
- Try to limit the time spent outside. Take breaks inside to warm up.
- Watch out for hypothermia and frost bite.
- Move pets indoors. If kids can’t be outside, neither should pets. If pets must be outside, make sure they have adequate shelter and bedding.
- Be very careful when using auxiliary heat sources such as space heaters.
- Never use extension cords with space heaters. Plug directly into a wall outlet.
- Make sure there is adequate clearance around the space heaters, keep combustible materials at least three feet away.
- If using a wood burning fireplace, be mindful of your fireplace ashes, use a screen.
- Make sure you have your chimney inspected and cleaned (creosote).
- Keep gas powered generators outside and away from the house.
- Make sure you have a working smoke detector and CO detector.
- Open cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Remember to let your faucets run at a trickle to keep your pipes from freezing.
Fire safety tips:
- Test smoke alarms every month and replace batteries twice a year when time changes.
- Create a family escape plan and practice it often.
- Blow out candles before leaving home or going to bed.
- Stay in the kitchen when the stove top is in use.
These are just some safety tips. For more information please contact your local fire department or visit NFPA - Fire Safety