Rezoning & Site Plans for Rezoning

Reclassifying a Property

Each parcel of land in the City of Bristol has been assigned a zoning classification. This classification corresponds to a list of permitted uses in the Zoning Ordinance. The purpose of zoning is to separate land uses to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens while promoting orderly growth. From time to time, the zoning classifications need to be changed. The following is required to have property reclassified:

  • Complete a Rezoning Application
  • Pay a review fee
  • Have a site plan for rezoning prepared by an architect, engineer, or surveyor licensed to do business in the Commonwealth of Virginia

The site plan is reviewed by staff and presented to the Planning Commission and City Council.

All rezonings must be considered by the Planning Commission and approved by City Council. A joint public hearing must be conducted for each rezoning. If a rezoning is approved it must be read at two City Council meetings. There is a 30-day wait after the second reading before the rezoning is effective.

Rezoning Requests / Applications

All rezoning applications and their associated site plans must be received in the Community Development and Planning Office at least 10 days prior to the Planning Commission meeting.

Applicable Fees

A $200.00 review fee is required at the time the application is made. Code requires requests be advertised twice prior to a public hearing. It is the City's policy to place such advertisements in the Bristol Herald Courier. The Community Development and Planning Office will prepare the advertisement. It is the applicant's responsibility to take the advertisement to the Herald Courier and pay for the ad prior to publication. If the advertisement is not placed in the Herald Courier on the dates specified on the ad, the public hearing may be cancelled.

Additionally, code requires that written notifications are sent to adjoining property owners. These notifications will be written and mailed by Community Development and Planning staff. However, the petitioner must (according to code) pay for the mailing.

For More Information

If you have any questions, please call the Community Development and Planning Office at (276) 645-7470 and staff will be glad to assist you.