Concealed Handgun Permits
Concealed Handgun Permits
Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the Circuit Court in the county or city in which the applicant resides.
Concealed Handgun Permit Application
- Concealed Handgun Permit Applications are available in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office, located inside the City of Bristol Virginia's Courthouse, or click on this link to download.
- Application fee is $50, and is payable upon filing.
- When filing for a concealed weapon, proof of competency is required.
Acceptable forms of proof of competency include:
- Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
- Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
- Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
- Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
- Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
- Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
- Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
- Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
- Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
Upon the approval of your Concealed Handgun Permit application, the Clerk's Office will mail your permit to the address submitted on your application. Please inform the clerk if you prefer to pick up your permit in person in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office (please bring a photo id).
For more information on Virginia Code §18.2-308 and concealed handgun permits, check out the Virginia State Police website, by clicking on the link below: