Bristol Youth Services
Working to Develop & Improve the Community
The Department of Youth Services (Bristol Youth Services) serves the citizens of Bristol Virginia by working to raise the overall quality of life in Bristol by providing a safe, healthy and dynamic environment for youth and families by providing resource information, collaborative planning initiatives and programs that promote positive youth development.
We serve as a collaborative partner, working with other organizations to meet youth needs. The work of the department is guided by the Youth Services Citizen Advisory Board.
Summary of Services
- Bristol Youth Council - This is a leadership program for 9th through 12th grade students from area high schools.
- Botvin LifeSkills Training (LST) - For over 12 years, Bristol Youth Services has taught this highly effective evidence-based substance abuse and violence prevention program to 6th-8th grade students at Virginia Middle School. This program teaches the dangers of drug abuse as well as promoting healthy alternatives to risky behavior.
- Hershey Track and Field - Bristol Youth Services, in collaboration with the Parks and Recreation Department, host the annual Hershey Track and Field Event for youth ages 9-14. Usually held the second Saturday in May, Hershey Track and Field is a national event. First place winners move on to a regional competition, followed by state and national events in Hershey Pennsylvania.
- Information and referrals - Citizens seeking information on a variety of youth related issues or services may contact Bristol Youth Services. Resource information is also available online at the Bristol Source website.
- Research - Bristol Youth Services, in partnership with the Bristol Virginia School System, administers the Youth Risk Behavior Survey, every two years to 7th-12th grade students. Bristol Youth Services collects, organizes, analyzes and disseminates information about issues relating to youths in Bristol Virginia. The Community Needs Assessment Executive Report for Bristol is produced every two years.
- Collaborative Partnerships - Bristol Youth Services works with other organizations to meet youth needs.